I'll Be Glad To See Him Back

The partnership between William Gallas and Thomas Vermaelen is good, but I believe that a future Johan Djourou and Thomas Vermaelen partnership could be even better.

Don't get me wrong, I love Gallas and I hope that he stays at the club. The man has been immense for us this season. An unsung hero.

Our former skipper, like Eboue, has won round many Gooners with his attitude. He really has impressed me with the way he has responded since the captaincy was taken away from him.

He has shown true character. Gallas is a winner and the more like him at Arsenal, the better I say.

Having said that, there is a chance he could leave the club in the summer. He is in the last few months of his contract and if Arsenal have learnt from past mistakes they had better sort it sooner rather than later.

Or it could be too late.

I look at Gallas and Vermaelen and its enjoyable to see two players who clearly like playing together. I think that our Belgian centre-half looks up to his partner.

When the day comes I'm sure that Thomas will enjoy playing with Djourou too. Johan signed a long-term contract with us and I'm sure that Wenger sees him as an important player to Arsenal in the future.

I really rate Djourou. I think he is a class player and with the right attitude he could go on to become one of the best centre-backs in Europe.

Tall, pacey, good in the air, strong in the tackle and comfortable on the ball, he could really thrive alongside someone like Vermaelen. Then again I think anyone would be happy to play alongside the Belgian. He is that good!

Djourou has been at Arsenal since 2003. That's a long time for someone who is only 23 years old. He has been unlucky with injuries and it must be frustrating for him.

I'm frustrated because, as I've said, I really rate him and I honestly believe that he would be knocking on the first-team door if he was available.

By all accounts Djourou will be back in March. I'm happy with that because, alongside Sol Campbell, we will have quality options at the back.

If I were in Arsene's shoes I would advise Djourou to be Campbell's shadow. Sol could mentor Johan and I couldn't think of a better role-model in the art of defending.

I hope that injuries don't afflict Djourou in his future because he could have a great one. This injury nightmare is almost over for him and I'll be glad to see him back.

Keep it Goonerish............