Wrighty7 And Derek McGovern-The Replies (Read For The Good Of Arsenal!)

Had you read my blog earlier you would have seen an e-mail that I had sent to Derek McGovern (betting expert) in response to an article he had written in the Daily Mirror today.

The link to the earlier blog is here. It would make sense to read it.

Despite my doubts, he did reply, and for that I thank him.

It seems that many Gooners wrote him an e-mail. Well done! I have an e-mail that one Arsenal fan sent Mr McGovern and the reply to his.

I won't reveal the Gooners name, he is welcome to reveal himself in the comments section.

I'd like to say thanks for passing it on to me mate, you know who you are.

Anyway, here are the replies.

Derek McGovern to Wrighty7;

Wrighty
Campbell first. His reactions were not those of someone sickened by the grisly injury to a team-mate. They were the reactions of a man who wanted the perpetrator (however innocent) punished.
Shawcross's 'previous' is irrelevant. If someone defends himself against a nutter in the pub, should he be found guilty of assault just because somewhere in his past he has had something similar happen to him? I notice that though Arsenal fans have been quick to bring up the Jeffers injury, not one holds Shawcross accountable. To be honest I have not seen that tackle on Jeffers so cannot comment but I have seen the one on Ramsey countless times. It was hard but 100 per cent fair. Were you not blinkered, you would say the same.
I would be interested if someone could point me in the direction of Jeffers' comments on the challenge. And I find it strange that no-one has yet heard Ramsey's view.
If you seriously believe Wenger was not attacking Shawcross, then there really is no point in continuing this correspondence.
Sky's decision not to show the tackle was unforgivable. A major news story and they ducked out. So Wenger was allowed to trash-talk a player with no fear of challenge.
By the way, of course I have sympathy for Ramsey. I thought that went without saying.
All the best
Del


Wrighty7 to Derek McGovern;

Derek,

Thanks for your reply. It is appreciated.

How can you say that about Sol Campbell's reaction? To me, he seemed maddened and distraught at his team-mate having his leg snapped in half! How would you react? Make the man a cup of tea?

And why wouldn't he want the perpetrator punished? It was disgraceful.

You say Shawcross's 'previous' is irrelevant. I say different mate. We are talking about a man who has done this type of thing before and he is 22 years old. If you broke someones leg once in a whole career that is bad enough but to break two players legs and almost a third at his age?! He has maybe another 13 years ahead of him, how many careers or legs is he going to threaten?

(I've actually seen another horrible tackle by him when he was on loan to Belgian club Antwerp.) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JImCLHKXTOs

What I can't understand is how you guys in the media are trying to paint Shawcross as this 'whiter than white' character when he has smashed numerous legs and when William Gallas (admittedly it was bad and Wenger apologised) tackled the Bolton player (Davies?) a few weeks back he was vilified! I'd honestly have thought Gallas might as well have killed someone.

The difference in the tackles were unreal. Look at them again, you will see that Gallas goes to block in a 50/50 challenge (Davies actually lunges) and in the Shawcross tackle Ryan does the lunge in a reckless uncontrollable way and you say it wasn't even a foul?! It was bound to hurt because it was out of control and full of intent!

Regardless of what you 'believe' Wenger has not 'assaulted' Shawcross's character, just the tackle. As I've said he doesn't mention the players name once. But that is far from the point. If you want to talk about trash-talking how about Tony Pulis trash-talking Wenger?

Also I don't remember Pulis actually saying sorry for the tackle but I remember Wenger saying sorry for Gallas's. And whose player broke a leg?

You say Wenger has been unchallenged because of Sky's lack of coverage. Nonsense mate! Look at the likes of yourselves with newspaper columns! A lot of you guys can't wait to have a go at Arsene Wenger or anything Arsenal related.

What I can't believe is how you are all backing Ryan Shawcross like he is some kind of victim. Who is the real victim here? Shawcross or Ramsey?

By the way, I've taken my blinkered glasses off and I still see the same reckless, out-of-control, career threatening challenge by Shawcross. Nothing has changed in my view. Maybe I need to change opticians as I've heard a rumour that Wenger uses the same one as I do.

You find it interesting that no-one has heard Ramsey's view? I must remind you he is in hospital at the moment Derek. I find it even more interesting that Ryan Shawcross has yet to say anything.

Of course I believe that you have sympathy for Aaron Ramsey, I've never doubted that but I can't believe is your reaction to the situation. I honestly thought that you were better than that.

All the best,

Wrighty

Derek McGovern to Wrighty7;

Wrighty
we will have to agree to differ. But if you think Shawcross's tackle was worse than the Gallas display of thuggery, then I suggest you follow another sport
all the best
Del


Wrighty7 to Derek McGovern;

Derek,

Then maybe I have to follow another sport because whilst (as I've admitted) Gallas's tackle was horrible, Shawcross is the only thug I see. Who has broken the most legs?

All the best.


Wrighty

So there you have it! As I've said I'm thankful to Derek for replying because I truly believed he wouldn't.

However after reading his response it doesn't change my views on his column. For me it shows a clear anti-Arsenal feeling.

At the beginning of the season Derek tipped Arsenal to finish out of the top four, perhaps this is the reason he dislikes Arsenal?

Anyhow, he has a lost a reader in me. And I'm pretty sure that a lot of Gooners are feeling the same way.

Keep it Goonerish.................