Big Sol Is Bringing The Best Out Of These Players

When Arsene Wenger brought Sol Campbell back to Arsenal I actually felt for him.

For years many people, including lots of Gooners, said that Wenger needed to bring experience to this Arsenal squad.

Well you won't find many players more experienced than Sol Campbell will you?

Despite Campbells wealth of knowledge the move was probably criticised more than it was acclaimed.

Arsene couldn't win!

He did what people said he needed to do but it was wrong somehow. I can't help but think that if Sir Alex Ferguson took a gamble on Sol it would have been deemed a master-stroke.

Anyways, the former Gunner is now back at his 'spiritual-home'. And I'm glad.

I know Campbell isn't the player he was in his first spell with us but he isn't 'over-the-hill' like people say. In fact, its the opposite. He could be more important to us now than he was before.

Since his return it seems the 'never-say-die' attitude of previous Wenger-title-winning teams is back. Campbell obviously has had a big part in that.

I'll never forget how after beating Stoke City at the Brittania Stadium, the game in which Aaron Ramsey had his leg broken, the whole entire Arsenal team had a post-match huddle. The orchestrator? Sol Campbell.

It was brilliant to watch and I think that his influence is clear to see on these players.

Even the skipper, Cesc Fabregas, appears to look up to Campbell. In my opinion, Cesc has become a better captain since Sol returned. He has learnt, and is learning more all the time, from Campbell just being at the club.

It's no coincidence that Arsenal are hitting form at the right time since the re-arrival of our former defender. His experience must be a calming influence on the squad.

Of course its not the only reason for us peaking perfectly in the campaign, but it has helped and I believe that Arsene Wenger deserves a lot of credit.

Campbell may only be at the club till the summer but if he has helped us win the title, Champions League or even better, both, then he will have enforced his legendary status even further.

Me, I'd keep him for next season too as a player/coach. But then I'm not Wenger and I don't know whats on Le Gaffers mind.

Like many Gooners say, Arsene knows. And I suppose he does.

Keep it Goonerish.............