He is my new hero!

There is always one player that you would pick as your 'favourite' at any given time.

My all-time favourite has to be Thierry Henry. I loved that man like a brother. In fact, I'd probably let him do my missus.

Looking through this current mob of Arsenal players I have to say that I have become particularly taken by a young Belgian, signed by Arsene Wenger last summer.

Thomas Vermaelen has pulled on my heart strings and I have to say that he is my new Arsenal hero!

The man is immense. I think that Wenger deserves a lot of credit for taking a gamble on him and bringing the man to Arsenal.

He was virtually unknown outside of Holland and Belgium. But buying an unknown player is Wenger's favourite type of signing.

I'll be honest, the only time I had ever heard of Vermaelen before he signed was when he grabbed Robin van Persie by the throat in the Amsterdam tournament!

Well, Arsene has done us proud with this one. In my opinion Thomas has been the signing of the campaign by far.

The way he has settled into Arsenal and English football has been amazing. It's like he has played over here for years.

Bacary Sagna had a fantastic first season with us and I was very impressed with how he took to the English Premiership. I believe that Vermaelen has surpassed Sagna's first year with us and has been even more impressive than his team-mate.

And that was no mean feat.

Vermaelen is a warrior and as tough as the best of them. You could almost say that he is the complete defender. My guess is that he could become one of the best defenders in the world.

And that is no exaggeration.

You need players like Vermaelen in the team, and I'm glad that Wenger bought him. In my opinion Thomas could be a future Arsenal captain. I'd select him as the vice-captain to Cesc Fabregas right now. He seems like a born-leader to me.

I think he is absolutely crucial to the rest of Arsenal's campaign. If we lost him to injury or suspension who knows what would happen?

Cesc Fabregas is the star of this team and quite rightly will grab the head-lines but the quiet consistent players who you can rely on are just as important.

Surely Vermaelen will be in the Premiership's best eleven?

Also check out my view on England's World Cup hopes on the A2BWorldCup site here.

It's a fantastic site on all things involving England and the upcoming 2010 World Cup in South Africa.

Many thanks to Joppa of Shout From The Crowd for asking me to guest write on there.

Keep it Goonerish................