Disappointing But Maybe Some Perspective Is Needed?

It appears that in the minds of our players the campaign ended when Lionel Messi knocked us out of the Champions League.

Since that hiding Arsenal have been about as much use as a one-legged man at an arse-kicking contest. We have been diabolical.

I've the heard the term 'European hang-over' before, well let's just say that must have been one hell of a piss-up!

After so much promise the way the season has ended has been very, very disappointing. Whilst we are 'pot-less' again I think maybe a little perspective is due.

Let me start by saying that I do not believe that finishing (nearly there) third in the Premiership is a brilliant achievement. To be fair, third place (nearly there) is for losers.

You just don't win trophies for coming third (nearly there) do you?

But cast your mind back to last summer. By rights, according to 'experts' and many others (including some Gooners) Arsenal shouldn't be where we are right now in the league table.

We should be where Liverpool are.

Arsenal wasn't expected to even compete for the Champions League places, let alone the title, so are things really that bad?

If you believed everything you read, heard or saw in the summer of 2009 then Manchester United, Chelsea, Spurs, Manchester City, Liverpool and even Aston Villa should be above us right now.

How many of those mentioned actually are?

The truth is Arsenal are not that far away from becoming the best team in England. By far too. We are the nearly men and that has to be addressed. I think it will be.

Wenger could have strengthened in January but he didn't. Maybe that is what cost us winning the title this season maybe it isn't. What I really feel though is Arsene is ready to spend this summer.

He appears to be hinting at making some signings and while I know we have heard it all in the past I genuinely believe he will strengthen our squad with quality. He needs too, and I reckon he knows that now.

The problem is the likes of those mentioned above will add to their squads making our future tasks even harder. From next season the Premiership will not be a top-four, it will be a top-seven.

I believed that Arsenal would win the title this campaign, I said it last August. I was wrong but so are those who doubted we would even make the Champions League for next season.

So while the season has ended on a disappointing note maybe it hasn't been that bad. As I've said, third isn't something to shout about but it's better than most expected.

A title-challenge is the least I'd expect from Arsenal and until a couple of games ago that is what we had.

Our challenge ended prematurely this year but if Wenger makes the right signings this summer then I'll go out and predict that Arsenal will be Champions next season again even if most will predict the usual doom and gloom that we won't even finish in the top-four.

Keep it Goonerish.................